Saturday, March 3, 2012

I'll have a Malted!

I was inspired by Ree Drummond to make some chocolate "chip" cookies that I would love to eat. I'm not the chocolate fan. Most of the time, I say "why mess up perfectly good sugar by adding chocolate?" But there are a couple of exceptions. Chocolate Malt is one of them. I LOVE malted milk balls. I love Ovaltine. So when I happened upon Ree's recipe for chocolate chip cookies, I thought to myself, "Self, what would happen if you substituted Ovaltine and crushed malted milk balls for the vanilla malt and chocolate chips?" And since I had a handy toddler around to enthusiastically hammer away at the malt balls, it seemed a good day to give the thought a try. Mmmmmm...drool....  If you want to make them yourself, click on the Ree Drumond link above to get the recipe. Substitute a large box of Malted Milk balls, coarsely crumbled by pounding them with a  rolling pin or what have you in a ziplock bag, and substitute Ovaltine for the malted milk powder in the same amount as the recipe. Also, I added 1 Tbsp of flour per cup of flour for baking at altitude.
Chocolate Malted Milk Chip Cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment